Let's try not to think about Brexit! It's festival time and this year, we will be flying the flag for European culture by bringing over some of Europe’s most talented and original artists:
• Korrontzi from Spain’s Basque country are one of world music’s most exciting bands, merging flamenco, fado and fandango and featuring a troupe of brilliant folk dancers
• The irrepressible Majorcan band BOC , who delighted local audiences in 2015 and 2017, make a very welcome return this year.
• Hotel Palindrone is an Austrian quartet blending diverse folk traditions with classical, jazz and even some yodeling!
• SYA (Suddenly Years Align) are a young female trio from the Netherlands with beautiful vocal harmonies and a rising reputation for fine compositions.
• Sarah Savoy Band – Paris-based Sarah has been dubbed the ‘queen of white trash cajun’
• Jigjam - hailing from the Irish Midlands a virtuostic high energy blend of traditional Irish music and hot Bluegrass that knows no borders.
According to festival director Mike Kirrage… “We feel it’s a highly relevant time to celebrate the diverse cultures of our European neighbours and the special relationships that have been developed over time. And it’s not just about the music. On site, there will be special workshops for children, food and drink will be given a Continental flavour, the site decoration will reflect the theme and there will be a few surprises!” It’s also hoped the event will further develop Southwell’s strong connections with its twin towns: Sees (France) and Sarzana (Italy).